Who We Are
About The Australian Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
The Australian Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) is a professional society for orthopaedic surgeons who have a primary interest in the care of foot and ankle conditions. Orthopaedic surgeons have been providing care to the Australian Community since 1938, with advancements in the care of conditions over the years. Up to 1988 most foot surgery was performed by general orthopaedic surgeons, with a small group having a keen interest in the area. The AOFAS was born out of a neccesity to provide a sophisticated and more scientific approach to the treatment of foot and ankle conditions.
Today the Australian Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society is a multifaceted medical society dedicated to the innovative improvement of orthopaedic surgery to treat all foot and ankle related conditions. With more than 80 members to date, the AOFAS seeks to encourage the evolution of foot and ankle surgery with an emphasis on providing treatment and care options to those suffering from or experiencing various foot and ankle-related conditions.
About our Members
- Our members are medically trained doctors, not allied health practioners
- Specialist training in Orthopaedic Surgery under the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and the Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Registered under Medical Board and AHPRA as medical surgical specialists
- Clinical experience in management medical and surgical problems.
- Trained in management of complications from surgery.
- Only foot surgeons accredited to provide services rebated under MBS and private health funds